Outfitters Defending Nationwide Right to Hunt and Fish in Montana through Hunter Angler Defense Fund (HADF)
Protect access to Hunt and Fish Montana. Support HADF.
For non-residents, access to outdoor recreation in Montana is under attack. MOGA’s advocacy program, the Hunter Angler Defense Fund, is the only organization representing the interests of the Montana outfitting industry and preserving the opportunity to hunt and fish for the clients they serve.
In the most recent legislative session, we faced more than a dozen bills intended to limit the ability of non-residents to hunt and fish in the state.
From drastically limiting non-resident bird hunters to a permanent 90/10 split between residents and non-residents for all waterfowl, upland, lions, bears, wolves, and turkeys, the increase in anti-out-of-state rhetoric is rising and the outdoor recreation industry is facing more restrictions, making it more challenging to serve non-resident clients.
A small sampling of bill Titles from 2023 Legislative Session:
- Revise laws related to nonresident hunting and fishing
- Revise nonresident license laws related to harvesting mountain lions
- Revise nonresident bird hunting
This fight will continue through the FWP Commission Season Setting Process this winter. MOGA is advancing several commonsense proposals that will:
- Address conservation issues for mule deer
- Expand resident and non-resident big game hunting opportunity
- Distribute hunters across the landscape to reduce crowding
- Ensure that non-resident hunting tourism industry remains viable
It was because of HADF that we were able to secure the One Time Only license issuance in 2021, saving many Outfitting businesses. HADF was also the funding source that helped us secure the Outfitter Preference Point. These were significant accomplishments that have led to stability within the industry.
Thanks again for your full participation in HADF!
Executive Director, Montana Outfitters and Guides Association
Hunter Angler Defense (HADF) Best Practices
- Add this very simple wording to your contract for every client.
- Example 1 – Recommended Contract Wording:
- Hunger Angler Defense Fund: $50 per hunting client or $5 per fishing client/per day (5 day maximum). Hunter Angler Defense Fund is a fee collected of all outfitted clients of Outfitter members of the Montana Outfitter & Guides Association for the purposes of defending nonresident hunting and fishing rights in the state of Montana.
- Example 2 – Opt-Out Option:
- In support of MOGA’s efforts, [Your Business Name] has added a $50.00 voluntary non-tax-deductible donation that goes directly to the Association. Let us know if you choose not to contribute and that amount will be deducted from the cost of your trip.
- Collect HADF funds into a passthrough account (non-tax liability)
- Remit the passthrough balance to the MOGA office for your HADF Contribution each year (at the end of season or end of the year).
- MOGA office will record your independent business contribution and will issue a receipt for your participation.
HADF / Hunter Angler Defense Fund COMMITMENT FORM
2022 Hunter Angler Defense Participants – Thank you!
4 Dot Outfitters
7 Lazy P Outfitting
A Lazy H Outfitters
Absaroka Beartooth Outfitters
Anchor P Outfitters
Backcountry Montana Adventures
Bear Paw Outfitters
Billingsley Ranch Outfitters
Birch Creek Outfitters
Black Mountain Outfitters
Broken Hart Adventures
Broken Hart Ranch
C Francis & Co Sporting Agents
Cayuse Hills Outfitters
Chimney Rock Outfitters
Cody Carr’s Hunting Adventures
DL Elk Outfitters Inc.
Dog Creek Outfitters
Doonan Gulch Outfitters
Double D Outfitters
Elk Ridge Outfitters
Flying Diamond Guide Service
Ford Creek Guest Ranch
Hunters Montana LLC
Iron Wheel Guest Ranch
J&J Guide Service
JJJ Wilderness Ranch
Jumping Horse Outfitting
Linehan Outfitting Company
Lone Wolf Guide Service
Loyd Ketchum Outfitting LLC
M & M Outfitters
Majestic Mountain Outfitters
Mark Young Outfitters LLC
Milk River Outfitters
Mills Wilderness Adventures of MT
Montana Big Game Outfitters
Montana Elk and Trout
Montana Hunting and Fishing Adventures
Montana Hunting Company
Montana Mountain Lion Adventures
Montana Outfitting Company
Montana River Ranch
Montana Wilderness Lodge & Outfitting
Northern Rockies Outfitters
Ranger Peak Outfitting LLC
Rich Ranch Outfitting & Guest Ranch
Rising Son Outfitters
Scott Vollmer Outfitters
Sizzlin’ S Outfitters
SNS Outfitter & Guide Service
Stockton Outfitters, LLC
Sun Canyon Lodge & Outfitting
Sunday Creek Outfitters
Swan Mountain Outfitting
The Tackle Shop
Timber Mountain Outfitters LLC
Wayne Hill Outfitting
West Slope Outfitters
Wild Country Outfitting LLC
Wild West Adventures
Wilderness Connection, Inc.